Audio Technica AT-140-X Professional Turntable
The versatile AT-140-X Professional Turntable plays 33, 45 and 78 rpm records and will accommodate any disc recording up to 13" in diameter. It has a +/- 24% pitch control which is essential for the proper playback of vintage records, given that many early 78s were actually recorded at speeds ranging from the the 60s to the 90s. It will also play vertical recordings (including Edison Diamond Discs) when used in conjunction with a vertically-wired cartridge or an outboard vertical/lateral switch, such as is found on the Re-equalizer.
The plug & play AT-140-X has standard RCA phono outputs and a hinged acrylic dust cover. It features a high-torque direct-drive motor for quick start-ups, a high-accuracy quartz-controlled pitch lock with slider control (with an adjustment range of +/-24%), and the ability to play recordings in reverse at the touch of a button!
The tonearm is easily raised and lowered with a locking base ring allowing one to play Edison Diamond Discs. This important feature also enables off-center discs to be properly played (by stacking additional turntable mats on the platter, thereby clearing the spindle).
The AT-140-X Turntable comes ready to go with an Audio-Technica XP3 cartridge and LP stylus. Add the optional 78 stylus to your order for playing 78rpm records.
This turntable also comes with a 12-speed SuperStrobe Disc, an important accessory for playing 78s, Edison Diamond Discs, Pathés and other early disc recordings.
Order with the optional Archival Transcription Arm and you'll be able to play discs up to 16" in diameter (such as early 14" Victors, Columbias and Pathés and later 16" film soundtracks and radio transcriptions). This audiophile-grade arm is silicon-damped, thereby reducing arm resonances and providing better tracking for problematic discs. The 13" overall length (10" from pivot to stylus) allows discs of any diameter to be played with the proper tracking angle, resulting in better frequency response and cleaner transfers. This arm is an ideal choice for archives, audiophiles and sound engineers alike. (Due to the extra length of the arm, the dust cover must be shifted 1/4" to the right in order to properly close.) Note that when you order a turntable with this option, the arm will come pre-installed.
- Plays both 78 rpm and micro-groove (33 & 45 rpm) recordings
- Plays discs up to 13" in diameter (16" w/optional Archival Transcription Arm)
- Variable Speed Control enables playback at any speed from 25-56 rpm & 59-97 rpm
- Standard Cartridge Headshell
- Variable Anti-skating Control
- Adjustable Tonearm Weight
- High Torque, Direct Drive, Quartz-Locked Motor
- Reverse Play Switch
- Cue Lever & Start Switch
- Tonearm Height Control (enabling proper playback of Edison records & off-center discs)
- Built-in Stylus Lamp
- Built-in Spare Headshell Holder
- Conventional RCA Outputs
- AT-XP3 Cartridge w/microgroove (LP/33 & 45 rpm) Stylus (78 Stylus sold separately)
- Handy SuperStrobe Disc with 12 commonly used speeds
- Hinged Acrylic Dust Cover
Archival Transcription Tonearm Specifications
- 13", static balance, S-shaped, tubular arm (10" effective length from pivot to stylus)
- Silicon Oil Damped
- Spindle to Pivot Distance: 9.45"
- Overhang: 0.59"
- Offset Angle: 21 degrees
- Tracking Error: +1.5/-1.0 degrees
- Finish: Matte black or silver-gray
- Horizontal & Vertical Sensitivity: 20 mg
- Height Adjustment: 1.5-2.4"
- Tracking Force Calibration Range: weight marked for 0-3 gm, but can go higher
- Anti-Skating Range: 0-3 gm
- Cable Capacitance: 225 pF
- Cable Harness Length: 45"
- Mounting Hole: 1.25"
- Cartridge Weight Range: 4.5-10.5 gm
- Headshell: Magnesium with oxygen-free copper Litz wire